Groups of hosting services
A hosting solution applies to saving and/or sharing particular content on a web server managed by a hosting supplier. There are various sorts of hosting services utilized for different goals, so let's have a glimpse at these. In that way, you can determine what you want, depending on whether you'd like to build a blog, email box accounts, or to share files with friends and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution distributed by certain providers, which enables you to share big files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single designation is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a list of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free-of-cost file hosting accounts often include ads beside the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a certain spell of time to view them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you get a paid file storage package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limitation when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a completely imprecise explanation of the literal meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would share the load between different bunches of hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving various web hosting services (electronic mail, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, web site hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a variety of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; specific suppliers offer a hosting solution for images only. This hosting brand is good if you want to share a big number of images with pals or acquaintances since the service is mostly free of cost. You will receive a randomly generated link for each picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be utilized for sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service dedicated to handling your e-mail box accounts. Some firms provide web page hosting solutions for websites, but do not provide an e-mail solution. If you desire to set up an email address with your domain name but do not want to possess a website, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you need. You can open electronic mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video, or you can embed the video file in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of utilizing this approach instead of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video file produces a particular amount of CPU load, so with a bunch of video files and several hundred web page visitors, you may have difficulty with your website hosting supplies. Embedding the video will allow you to manage as many videos as you desire without hassling about system resources.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you need if you desire to keep a web site. To a certain extent, it contains all of the aforesaid hosting kinds since, along with your websites, you can also host pictures and files, you can create databases and email mailbox accounts, upload video files, etc. At Free Hostia, for instance, you can examine web hosting and dedicated web hosting services that permit you to get all of the abovementioned services in one location. There may be limitations based on the type of hosting service that you've opted for - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your site hosting package may be better or worse compared to the common e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are made for specific content solely.